Saturday, October 4, 2014

Learning to be, again

I am a college graduate, former Jesuit Volunteer who lived on $100 a month, Catholic, friend, family member, traveler (well, inside the US so far), employee, etc. When I left Dayton, Ohio for college in 2009 I told myself that I would no longer live at home except for the summers between Spring and Fall semesters. It's not that I don't like home or have issues with my family, in fact, it is the exact opposite, that I love home and my family. I know they love and support me no matter what, that they want me to be happy and follow my dreams. My Momma always told me to spread my wings and see the world. Since I know there is a bed waiting for me at home when I visit so I have taken her advice to heart.

I lived in St. Louis for four years and swear I will live there again. I had a tough time adjusting since I was living away from home for the first time ever, six hours to be exact. I knew two people when I moved there and clung to them for the first few weeks. I fought through being homesick and finally fully embraced what my school and new city had to offer. I loved spending the summer there between junior and senior year and made fun memories that only St. Louis has to offer. I cried when I left for that final time after I graduated and could no longer call St. Louis home. I still get chills each time I see the Arch when I drive through, or maybe even just seeing pictures that reflect the sunlight just right.

I moved to Syracuse, NY to live with six complete strangers in a part of the country that I had never been. I was nine hours away from home with no one to call on who had known be before. I figured how to to take the bus to work, to work with hundreds of volunteers and hundreds of hungry folks. I creatively figured out how to cook foods I had never heard of and make decisions that collaborated seven different perspectives regarding one bank account. I was drenched in summer sweat when the temperature was in the upper 90's and covered in blankets and layered clothing when the high temperature was in the negatives with a foot of snow on the ground. I once again fell in love with a city and a group of people that will forever be in my heart. And then my year was over there, and I moved again, just when the rhythm of life seemed normal.

Now I am living in Liberty, MO just north of Kansas City. I am living with an aunt, uncle and cousins as I work with adults with intellectual and development disabilities. I have paternal family all around me which makes being ten hours away from home not that bad. My life is mostly work and family schedule collaboration with splashes of sports and trips to Walgreens. I am learning to be me, again. Learning how to blend my experiences into those of my extended family members, new city, and new responsibilities. Learning how to grow and open myself to challenge, change and life in general, again. Oh, and loving it. :)

Peace,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment